With so much to choose from right here at Dunbrody House it can be difficult to drag yourself away but we have a multitude of places to visit, ruins to explore, coastal adventures and 14 beaches to discover here on the Hook Peninsula. These are the Top 10 as compiled by your Hostess Catherine Dundon:
1. Wine & Dine at Dunbrody Definitely treat yourself to some of Kevin Dundon’s fabulous food in the Harvest Room Restaurant but remember too to try the Beer-Battered Fish & Chips in the Local at Dunbrody (our very own traditional Irish pub within the estate of the hotel);
2. Bake Brown Bread and Scones at Dunbrody House – for guests staying with us you can take part in our daily bake of traditional brown bread and scones at 7am; Only if you don’t plan on taking advantage of our breakfast served til Noon each day of course!
3. Detox in the Spa at Dunbrody - let Laura and her team cocoon you in the comfort of our boutique spa where Aromatherapy Assoicates treatmaents will have you feelin gas good as new in no time! There are some great offfers available and our favourite at the moment is definitely the Scrub Up for Summer. Make sure to book prior to arrival as space is limited.
4. Sip champagne, nibble a canape, watch the sun set and listen to the evening birdsong on the terrace at Dunbrody…Heaven;
5. Visit The Hook Lighthouse – Dating back to the 5th Century this is the oldest lighthouse in Europe and a fantastic place to blow away the cobwebs. You will feel totally energised after a visit to the tip of the Peninsula where the sea air is like Nature’s Spa. The tour of the lighthouse provides not only fabulous views but a great interactive visitor experience too. The cliff walk from the Lighthouse to Slade Castle is wonderful too. Try to fit in their sunrise or sunset tour if you’re looking for some amazing photos. It’s a great spot for star gazing as well.
6. Trail in Tintern Abbey – Founded around 1200 by William Marshal, the Greatest Knight, the abbey and grounds provide not only a spectacular backdrop but some fabulous woodland trails and a fully restored Colclough Walled Garden where you can discover all the heirloom varieties of seasonal fruits, vegetables, herbs and flowers. There’s a couple of different trails 2km, 5km and 8km. By offering a donation in the Walled Garden Barbara will give you a bag of whatever fruit/vegetables has been harvested that day.
7. Beaches of the Hook Peninsula – we love our little fishing villages and great choice of beaches & coves where you can explore wide sandy beaches, dramatic coves & sea caves surrounded by cliffs, whale & dolphin watching … year round. The more adventurous can take to the sea with Kite Surfing or Sea Kayaking around the Hooks caves (try a private sunset tour)
8. Carve your own chair or wood spirit at Bevel Woodworking School (small groups of 4/5 can book this privately too) Contact Tommy Kelly 086 823 2180
9. Design your own rug at Ceadogan Owner Denis prides himself in the quality and craftsmanship of his designer rugs using only the finest materials for his product. From the favourite 100% pure New Zealand wool, to luscious silks and exotic bamboos, they have a vast and diverse selection of raw materials for creating a unique texture. Every Ceadogán rug is individually tailored to suit our clients’ personal specifications; from design and materials to colour choices and dimensions (as seen here at Dunbrody House too!) but you can create your very own design as well.
10. Crystal in Waterford City – one of the oldest cities in Ireland guests can enjoy the Viking Triangle and all the treasures such as the Viking Museum, Reginalds Tower, the old city walls…. Some great shopping to be had too not just in Waterford Crystal.
Dunbrody Classic Afternoon Tea - €30
With the warm weather here at last and the garden in bloom a leisurely afternoon on the terrace indulging in a Dunbrody Classic Afternoon Tea is the perfect way to indulge the senses. Served from 3-5pm Call 051389600 to book
Cinema & Supper Club at the Local – €20
Thursday 5th September, Thursday 24th October, Thursday 14th November, Thursday 5th December Combine a night at the movies with a special Chef's Surprise supper menu at the Local on some specially selected Thursdays this Autumn. Call 051389600 for more information or to book
Champagne Charlie Dinner – Saturday 16th November €100
A night of fabulous food paired with some of the finest champagnes from the Heidsieck cellars. Charles Heidsieck is second to no other producer when it comes to impecable quality. None can match the consistency - from the basic non-vintage through vintage to prestige cuvée champagnes. To book with accommodation click here
Thanksgiving Dinner at Dunbrody – Thursday 28th November €70
Start your evening with a choice of classic American cocktails – Manhattan, Sidecar, Martini…followed by a traditional American Thanksgiving Dinner with the option of California wine to also choose from. To book with accommodation click here