With so much to choose from right here at Dunbrody House it can be difficult to drag yourself away but we have a multitude of places to visit, ruins to explore, coastal adventures and 14 beaches to discover here on the Hook Peninsula. These are the Top 10 as compiled by your Hostess Catherine Dundon:
1. Wine & Dine at Dunbrody Definitely treat yourself to some of Kevin Dundon’s fabulous food in the Harvest Room Restaurant but remember too to try the Beer-Battered Fish & Chips in the Local at Dunbrody (our very own traditional Irish pub within the estate of the hotel);
2. Bake Brown Bread and Scones at Dunbrody House – for guests staying with us you can take part in our daily bake of traditional brown bread and scones at 7am; Only if you don’t plan on taking advantage of our breakfast served til Noon each day of course!
3. Detox in the Spa at Dunbrody - let Laura and her team cocoon you in the comfort of our boutique spa where Aromatherapy Assoicates treatmaents will have you feelin gas good as new in no time! There are some great offfers available and our favourite at the moment is definitely the Scrub Up for Summer. Make sure to book prior to arrival as space is limited.
4. Sip champagne, nibble a canape, watch the sun set and listen to the evening birdsong on the terrace at Dunbrody…Heaven;
5. Visit The Hook Lighthouse – Dating back to the 5th Century this is the oldest lighthouse in Europe and a fantastic place to blow away the cobwebs. You will feel totally energised after a visit to the tip of the Peninsula where the sea air is like Nature’s Spa. The tour of the lighthouse provides not only fabulous views but a great interactive visitor experience too. The cliff walk from the Lighthouse to Slade Castle is wonderful too. Try to fit in their sunrise or sunset tour if you’re looking for some amazing photos. It’s a great spot for star gazing as well.
6. Trail in Tintern Abbey – Founded around 1200 by William Marshal, the Greatest Knight, the abbey and grounds provide not only a spectacular backdrop but some fabulous woodland trails and a fully restored Colclough Walled Garden where you can discover all the heirloom varieties of seasonal fruits, vegetables, herbs and flowers. There’s a couple of different trails 2km, 5km and 8km. By offering a donation in the Walled Garden Barbara will give you a bag of whatever fruit/vegetables has been harvested that day.
7. Beaches of the Hook Peninsula – we love our little fishing villages and great choice of beaches & coves where you can explore wide sandy beaches, dramatic coves & sea caves surrounded by cliffs, whale & dolphin watching … year round. The more adventurous can take to the sea with Kite Surfing or Sea Kayaking around the Hooks caves (try a private sunset tour)
8. Carve your own chair or wood spirit at Bevel Woodworking School (small groups of 4/5 can book this privately too) Contact Tommy Kelly 086 823 2180
9. Design your own rug at Ceadogan Owner Denis prides himself in the quality and craftsmanship of his designer rugs using only the finest materials for his product. From the favourite 100% pure New Zealand wool, to luscious silks and exotic bamboos, they have a vast and diverse selection of raw materials for creating a unique texture. Every Ceadogán rug is individually tailored to suit our clients’ personal specifications; from design and materials to colour choices and dimensions (as seen here at Dunbrody House too!) but you can create your very own design as well.
10. Crystal in Waterford City – one of the oldest cities in Ireland guests can enjoy the Viking Triangle and all the treasures such as the Viking Museum, Reginalds Tower, the old city walls…. Some great shopping to be had too not just in Waterford Crystal.
Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon All things lazy & idle ...From €145pps this Winter - 24 Hours of Dunbrody Sunday Indulgences just for you. With a choice of Jazz Brunch, Sunday Lunch, Classic Afternoon Tea or Early Supper to combine with your night's B&B To book this package click Lazy Sunday
|Sundays during December, January, February & March|
Pre-Christmas Dash Escape from the everyday for a quick 24 hours of down-time at Dunbrody House this December with our Pre-Chrisrmas Dash from only €65pps To book click Pre-Christmas Dash
|From 1st to 22nd December|
|Fields of Life Charity Coffee Morning - A wonderful charity being organised by TY student Sophie Dundon with a great raffle to be drawn at the Christmas Market. Call 051389600 to book.||
Sunday 8th December €20
|Dunbrody Christmas Markets - Every Sunday during November & December...fabulous artisan crafts, jewelry, art, kitchenware and of course our own shop which is stocked full of Dunbrody Christmas cakes, puddings, preserves, scones, mince pies...||
Every Sunday from Noon til 4pm with jazz brunch in the Local Pub.
New Year's Eve Extravaganza - Ring in 2020 starting with Champagne & Canapes, followed by a fabulous Gala Dinner with live music & afterwards. For the late night revellers there'll be Nibbles with Tea & Cookies at 2am
|Available to book Dinner only or as part of a hotel package.|